Monday, August 15, 2011

Not a Killer Season

This can probably be recorded as my least impressive racing season in many years.  I started off with solid results in the Scarborough Criterium Series while riding in support of my teammate, Jamie Wright, who ended up with a super-solid 3rd place for the series.  I also raced at Wells Avenue early in the season and took 2nd in the field sprint for a top 10 finish.  But the season became less impressive from that point on.

After that, work, living in a hotel, and subsequently moving crushed my season.  I rode solidly at the Keith Berger race in the P12 category, but suffered greatly at Attleboro 2 weeks later, and got crushed at the Clam Festival - a race which is typically pretty easy for me.  I am now focusing efforts on several back-to-back structured training weeks to try and get some late season results.  I will be racing Topsfield with the P123s, the New England Master's criterium championships, and several cyclocross races.  Hopefully some good results will carry me in to a 2012 season with greater focus.  





One of my recent highlights wasn't actually race related, it was a training ride that I did with my son, Jake.  He has been totaly tied up with soccer this summer without much time to ride, so we decided to take a day off and head to NH to ride the Kanc.  It was an overcast, somewhat rainy day, but we decided to do the climb anyway.  I rode hard all the way to the top, never even reaching my 39 x 21 - I wanted to see how much stronger Jake had gotten over the past year.  Near the top, I could hear his breathing increase, so I clicked down an additional gear and really laid down as many watts as possible - I still couldn't drop him!  It was great to see, although it was somewhat frightening because he is only 14 years old.  I am sure that he will be turning the screws by next year.

Thanks for reading...

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment