Thursday, July 12, 2012

New Britain Criterium Race Report


The day after Stafford Springs, I had made plans to make the trip to Connecticut again to race with Jon.  Although Jon had suggested heading down the night before, I pressured him into a morning departure, because I had my fill of hotel rooms over the past couple of weeks.  Since Jon was racing master’s 55+, we had to leave at 4:30 a.m. to ensure on time arrival for his race – it was really, really early!  We met at the Scarborough park and ride, loaded my gear into Jon’s car, and started out for New Britain.  Conversation was good; we discussed tactics, and I tried to give Jon the course overview because I had raced there many times in the past.  For those of you who have not raced there, you have to try it once – it is a super fun course that was actually built for bicycle racing in the early 1900’s.

Jon had a fantastic 55+ race, where he pushed the pace and split the field several times.  He ended up just outside of the top 10 mostly due to a last lap effort to ride away from the field that didn’t quite make it, but definitely put a large group of people in the hurt-locker.  However, I will let him provide a more detailed report on that race.

45+
Immediately following Jon’s race, I lined up for the 45+ race.  I scanned the group to see who showed up.  Again, I saw many strong riders including Brian Wolfe, Mike Norton, Dave Bailey, and more.  I wasn’t too worried about a break forming and sticking, but I wanted to stay toward the front of the field just in case.  Lap 1 rolled off, and Dave Bailey’s Audi team-mate attacked bringing another rider with him, who I will call Sparticus, because he had a Sparticus sticker on his bike.  I was concerned because it looked like it might be an evil Audi plan, so I bridged across as quickly as possible, only to be joined by Dave, the other Audi rider, a few seconds later.  Sparticus seemed strong, and I knew Dave was super strong because I have seen him ride away from the field in the past, so I really thought we might stick a surprise break.   We took turns working to increase the lead, which unfortunately began to shrink within a lap, and we were eventually caught.  
A couple of laps later, a tall Sunapee racer jumped off the front and was soon joined by Sparticus.  I decided not to join, but instead to sit near the front in case I had to bridge at any point.  The field wasn’t in a rush to catch them, but they didn’t really allow the group to gain much more than 5-10 seconds, so I wasn’t too worried.  They stayed away for a few laps, then I could see the gap grow to 15-20 seconds, which started to cause a bit of concern.  I rolled to the front to take a pull and speed up the pace to bring them back, hoping that others would help out, but they seemed to be satisfied with my effort.  Since no-one was pulling through, I spent the next lap closing down the gap without going too deep.  I wanted to remain fresh for a big sprint.

Once we were back together, the race proceeded with several soft attacks, which were quickly brought back.  I continued to monitor and go with anyone who seemed strong.  Nothing stuck for more than ¼ of a lap.

With 5 to go, I went into the finish plan:  Stay in the top 5, continue to move forward, cover any late attacks, and stay positioned for a big sprint.  By this point Mike Norton (a.k.a. Terminator), Sparticus, Tall Sunapee, and The Audi guys were mixing it up at the front.  Sparticus tried to get away a couple of times, so I stuck to his wheel.  Terminator was doing his usual bumping, and one of the Audi guys was particularly sketchy.  As we were coming into the last lap, I got bumped by Sparticus and went into the dirt for a second, but I was able to slide back into the group and only lose a couple of places – so instead of being 3rd wheel, I was riding around 6th.  Terminator then put in a big surge down the right side and brought a small number of riders with him – crap, now I was in 10th-12th place.  On the back stretch before the final turn, I got out of the saddle to move up on the left side – I was able to gain a few positions, but was still not where I wanted to be.  We came into the final turn, I was on the inside line, and came out of the turn somewhere in the top 20.  Bummer, the outside line ended up being MUCH faster.  I started my sprint about 300 meters from the line and felt fast, but was only able to get by about 7 riders, so I ended up 13th.  Pretty disappointing because I should have done much better, but still a solid result.  Data afterward showed that my sprint topped out just shy of 39 mph, so I am happy with everything except my final lap position and line choice.

Pro-3
We had to wait around the entire day for the Pro-3 race to kick off, so we spent a good part of the day watching races, which included another strong showing by Jon in the category 4 race.  During the waiting period, I elevated my legs, stayed in the shade, fueled, and hydrated.  I know the group that was lining up at the start, so my goals were far less ambitious than they were for the 45+ race.  I wanted to move effectively though the field throughout the race, feel good at the end, and squeak into the top 20 so I could hit a pay-out.   Having almost 100 fit racers line up with me would make this a reasonable, but sufficiently lofty goal.

The race was fast, averaging 28.7 mph, and temps were in the 90s, so I focused on moving up whenever possible (if you aren’t moving up, you are moving back), and I made sure that I remembered to drink throughout the race.  Several small breaks went off the front of the group, but I wasn’t planning on being that active, so I stuck with my plan.  I would move up on a long sweeping uphill turn on the back side, and I would move up again on the long stretch through the start/finish area.  I found that as long as I was willing to get in the wind and throw down some wattage, I could move up whenever I wanted.   The entire race was a lot of fun, good surges, close riding, and a large enough field to keep me on my toes until…

With 4 laps to go, I was riding about 1/3 of the way back in the field, and was starting to solidify my position in the top 1/4 well before the final two laps, because I knew that moving up at that point would be really tough.  On the sweeping uphill turn, Jeremy Powers made an abrupt move to the right to shift to the outside, and he subsequently pushed a rider into the curb which started a chain reaction and brought down several riders.  I was quickly closing in on the “pile” without any gaps to ride through, so I continued to slow as quickly as possible and targeted the lowest section (two bikes with overlapping wheels on the ground).  As I hit the bikes, my bike started to endo, so I unclipped and somehow was able to leapfrog my handlebars, jump the “pile”, and land on my feet on the other side.  I quickly looked back and saw my bike on top of a rider, so I grabbed it to take off and chase the field.  Crap, my chain was off and jammed outside of my 11 – it took a few seconds to get it back on and start rolling again.  While I was fixing my bike I heard one rider moaning and saying ”I dislocated my shoulder”, another rider said “I think I broke my wrist”, and another was complaining about a broken clavicle, so all-in-all I considered myself lucky.

Once I had my chain back in order, I began in pursuit of the field.  I was able to re-integrate half-way through the 3 to go lap, but I was really gassed.  I had a hard time hanging on for the remaining laps, and did manage to move up and put in a dig for the finish, although it was far from a sprint.  I ended up with a mid-pack result – way out of the money.  At the end of it all I was happy, I felt strong, had fast racing, didn’t get hurt in the crash, and didn’t break my bike.


Next up is the Yarmouth Clam Festival race - I think my fitness is there, and I am ready!


Thanks for reading...


Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment