Sunday, April 4, 2010

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

Well, today was the first race of the Scarborough Criterium Series - and my first race of the season.  The unseasonably warm weather brought out large fields of racers for each race.  Base36 was represented in the juniors field by my son Jake, and his team mates Chris, and Owen.  The women's field only had one Base36 rider, Cody Harris (a.k.a The Terminator).  The men's A race had Jamie Wright, Dan Vaillencourt, and me lining up at the start.


The junior's race came apart and Chris was able to jump across to the women who started 1 minute before his field.  Jake was chasing close behind, and Owen was a little further back.  All three juniors worked hard and raced well - finishing 1,2,3 for the day!

The women's field came down to a bunch sprint for the finish after some fast laps.  Cody threw down a monster sprint and easily took the win.  Nice job Cody!

The men's A race was filled with attacks from the first lap, with Orthopaedic Associates working on softening up the field.  The Base36ers were represented in several of the more serious attacks and Dan and Jamie were active at the front throughout the race.  I went with a couple of attacks early, then decided to conserve for the sprint when it looked like it was going to be tough for anything to stick.  I threw down an early, long sprint because I haven't developed my mid-season snap yet - luckily, I was able to hold everyone off for the win.  It was a great way to start the season!




All in all, it was a great day for Base36, winning all of the races they entered!  I am sure this is only the first of many successful races this season.

Thanks for reading,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment